Congratulations 2016 Winners!
"Fingers" by Judy Witt
"Hypochondria" by Madison Nelson
"What He Knew When He Wrote
the Letter" by Robin T. Williams
A Chapter of the Virginia Writers Club, Inc. serving VWC members in the City of Richmond and counties of Chesterfield, Henrico, Goochland and Powhatan
Richmond Writers Chapter
Virginia Writers Club, Inc.
2017 Golden Nib Writing Contest GUIDELINES
This is a two-tiered competition. The Richmond Writers Chapter Golden Nib Contest is the first stage of the Virginia Writers Club, Inc., annual Golden Nib Contest. After our chapter-level contest concludes, the first place winners in each category (fiction, nonfiction, and poetry) are forwarded to the VWC for the statewide-level Golden Nib Contest.
FINAL REMINDER! All entries must be received by email by midnight on Saturday, July 15, 2017. Submissions should be sent to Susan Schwartz at ncc17lu[at]aol.com WITH “Richmond Writers Contest Entry” in the subject line.
1. Entries will be accepted on any subject the author or poet chooses in the categories of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
2. Manuscripts must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant, and must not have won a prize at any level in any other competition. However, since the VWC State competition now allows entries published in personal blogs, the Richmond Writers will accept those types of entries. Writing published in blogs other than your own or on social network sites or in an online publication are ineligible and should not be submitted.
3. All entrants must be current dues-paying members of the Virginia Writers Club, Inc., and live in the City of Richmond or counties of Amelia, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Henrico, Goochland or Powhatan. If you are not a VWC member, join online at www.virginiawritersclub.org before submitting your entry.
4. Entrants may submit only one entry per category of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
5. Fiction and nonfiction entries are limited to 3,500 words. Poetry entries are limited to 50 lines.
6. Fiction should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style; nonfiction can be either Chicago style or Associated Press Style.
a. A separate cover sheet in a separate Word Document file to include author’s name, address, telephone number, email address, title of work, number of words (fiction and nonfiction) or lines (poetry) and category (fiction, nonfiction, poetry).
b. All other pages must show contest category, title and page number in the header. If the author’s name appears on any page of the manuscript other than the cover sheet, the entry will be disqualified.
c. All entries must be submitted as a Word doc. Documents must be formatted in Times New Roman, 12-point to 13-point font size. Manuscripts must be setup for 8 x 11-inch paper with one-inch margins top, bottom and left, and a ragged right margin. Prose (fiction and non-fiction) must be double-spaced. Poetry may be single-spaced.
8. Submissions not in accord with format and other guidelines will be disqualified.
Submissions should be e-mailed to Susan Schwartz at ncc17lu[at]aol.com WITH “Richmond Writer Contest Entry” in the subject line.
Winners will be notified by the August meeting and the list of winners will be e-mailed to all entrants and Richmond Writers Chapter members shortly thereafter. First place winners on the regional Richmond Writers level are submitted to the VWC statewide competition in September. VWC winning entries in each category will be published in PDF format on the VWC Web site. All other rights remain the property of the author. See more details about the statewide competition at www.virginiawritersclub.org.